Chelsea take the best of FC Porto in the first leg


If most football fans had their eyes on the Allianz Arena and this clash between Bayern Munich and Paris Saint-Germain, there was another tempting opposition this Wednesday night in the quarter-final first leg of the Ligue des Champions. At Estadio Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán in Seville, where the match was relocated following health rules, FC Porto and Chelsea met six years after their double confrontation in the group stage of this same C1. Fallers of Juve in the previous round, the Dragões presented themselves in 4-4-2 with captain Pepe in defense but without Sergio Oliveira, suspended. For their part, the Blues of Thomas Tuchel started in 3-4-3 with a trio Mount-Havertz-Werner in front.

While the ball was in London’s feet, Sérgio Conceição’s players set up a big pressing, which did not necessarily hamper the Blues. Nevertheless, the visitors on paper were scared first with this magnificent sequence of Uribe but his volley fell just behind the crossbar of Mendy (12th). The former Stade Rennais goalkeeper then shone by taking a corner from Otavio who would finish in the back of the net (24th). The English club therefore found it difficult to create the danger but it only took one opportunity to find the loophole. Found near the surface by Jorginho, Mount performed a sublime control to eliminate Sanusi before adjusting Marchesin with a cross strike (32nd, 0-1).

Chelsea knew how to make the round back

Jostled but effective, the Blues therefore led by one goal at the break. However, it was necessary to remain solid in the second half to maintain this result. And as of the resumption, the men of Thomas Tuchel suffered. After a clumsiness from Werner in the opponent’s area (47th), the Dragões put a lot of pressure on Mendy’s goal with first a cross shot from Marega (51st) and then a curled shot from Díaz (57th). After this very complicated start to the second half, the visitors regained some color and the goal of the break was not far away on this huge opportunity for Havertz (60th).

The hour of play passed, the Blues were a little better but once again, Azpilicueta did not catch the frame by cutting a free kick from James (64th). We even found the Spaniard a few minutes later but for another situation. Following contact with the latter, Marega fell in the area but the referee said nothing (72nd). Finally, Chelsea made the break. After the crossbar found by Pulisic on a heavy strike (84th), Chilwell took advantage of a Corona error to come and eliminate Marchesin and double the bet (85th, 0-2). Behind, the English club managed this lead and won quietly on this score of 2-0. An excellent result before the return match on Tuesday.

Your Daily Football News